Wednesday, December 16, 2009

TV and Sports

Been a while but I'm back on the blog. I realize that I have to write a lot more and I plan to.....starting now

I'm currently watching the Islanders/Rangers game on MSG+2. For those who don't know, this is the secondary sports channel in New York that is only used when all three local hockey teams are playing on the same night. I HATE this channel. I don't have cataracts, but watching MSG+2 (as opposed to just plain MSG+) is what I imagine having cataracts is like. Everything is blurry and it actually hurts my eyes. This is a legit complaint coming from a man that only 4 months ago was watching everything on the 16 inch TV/VCR combo that his sister got him for his freshman year in college......11 years ago.

So why do I continue to hurt my already strained eyes? Well one of the great parts of following sports is the home broadcasting team. Those who don't watch sports probably can't appreciate just how important a good broadcast team can be. For example, the Mets SNY team is FANTASTIC. Nice play by play, insightful analysis and even a laugh or two. Compare that with the obnoxious "JORGE JUICED ONE!" commentary of John Sterling and you see (or hear) the difference. This brings us to tonight. Billy Jaffe and Howie Rose are terrific companions for the game. Just like Gary, Keith and Ron, Jaffe and Rose make you feel like you're watching the game with them, not just being talked at. They're so good that I would rather strain my eyes than hear the homer dreck that comes out of Sam Rosen. This whole topic drives home the point that sports are more than just men with sticks and/or balls, running/skating around for two hours. Appreciating the work of the broadcasters is just another part of the overall experience that makes me love sports.

Back to the game and my straining eyes. Let's go Islanders.

No comments:

Post a Comment