Wednesday, April 18, 2012

"Historical Graffiti": KWL Charts in my Classroom

I like to use KWL charts (Know, Want to Know and Learned) when I introduce big topics. It's a low stakes way to gauge my students prior knowledge as well as possible topics of interest that could lead to later lessons. After doing one to start the previous two units I felt that it was getting a little monotonous for the class. When I started my unit on Slavery this week, my students once again made charts but instead of the traditional three column KWL on handouts, they created KW charts on paper that was hung around the room. We watched two clips from the film Amistad during which the students recorded two pieces of information in their notebook for the K and W charts. After the clip, students were required transfer their four pieces of information to the chart paper.




A colleague of mine saw them hanging in the room and referred to them as "historical graffiti" which is not only pretty accurate but also the coolest things anyone has ever called my students' work. I have a total of eight of them hanging and while they look great from a far, it's what you see up close that is the most interesting. Each poster not only reveals a lot about what my students knew about slavery before they entered my room, but they also speak volumes about where my students are academically and intellectually. Comments featuring poor grammar stand in contrast next to sincere questions about the existence and nature of slavery.



As it was the first day back from break, I was just looking for something to get my students out of their seats while being productive. I really didn't have any expectations (good or bad) for it but I love the way it turned out and will definitely be doing it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment