Thursday, August 18, 2022

Family and Baseball: Days 4 & 5

Days 4&5

Asheville NC --> Atlanta, GA (208 miles

Game: New York Mets vs. Atlanta Braves

There is a practice in teaching known as "backwards planning".

The basic idea is that you start with the end in mind and build backwards 
from there. For example if I want students to create podcast on World War II, 
I know that when I plan my unit I need to teach not only the content of the
event but also the skills needed to create the podcast. Once I have the big 
picture then all of my day to day lessons can fall in line after.

For this trip, Atlanta was the final product.

The Mets would be in town to play the Braves and Kate has family down there. Our trip was born.

I know that Kate could write a loving tome on the McDonnell side of her family.and as an outsider it's clear why. They are a kind and generous bunch that feature great golfers, a naval officer, a bevy of engineering brilliance forged at Georgia Tech and just plain good people.. I never had the pleasure of meeting Kate's dad, but in spending time with his nieces and nephew it's clear that he, and they, are a special group.

Kate's cousin Eileen graciously hosted us and not only provided us with a beautiful home but also a dog (Penny helped to fill the Nellie sized hole that has been missing in our lives) and a pinball machine (that filled a carbon steel ball sized hole that was created when we visited the Asheville Pinball Museum on Sunday.)

Now to as why we found ourselves in Georgia's capital in the first place...

Some folks are also born as fans of good baseball teams. For the large majority of my life I have not been one of them but so far 2022 has been different. Also for the majority of my life, Atlanta has been an absolute place of horror and defeat for my New York Mets but so far 2022 has been different. I was cautiously optimistic as we approached Truist Park on Monday.

Scratch that...I was sick to my stomach. I knew what was coming. So let's feel nice and start with...

The Good

-We took Eoin to a game around his birthday and he asked if he could get a James McCann shirsey. Eoin has a fondness for goalies in hockey and catchers in baseball (I think it's the blunt force trauma they endure each game that our sweet brute is attracted to) so when he asked for the shirt I wasn't surprised but was annoyed. James McCann? To put it nicely, he hasn't been good. To put it more accurately he has been terrible. I asked if he wanted Alonso instead. No. Lindor? Nope. Scherzer? No chance. I begrudgingly bought it for him and he wore it to the game. A game in which it finally paid to get that poorly chosen shirt. Our seats were near the bullpen and as McCann arrived there to warm up I gave him a shout. "HEY MCCANN MY KID IS WEARING YOUR JERSEY!" He looked up, Eoin turned around to show him and next thing you know we had a ball. He was probably relieved to hear someone yell his name without a profanity preceding it. 

Eoin with his treasure

-Lots of good family time in Atlanta. In addition to staying with Eileen, we met cousin Bobby for dinner and mini golf (look out for a PuttShack near you) and got to see Kate's sister, brother in law and nephews for a day at the lake. 

Cousins on the Lake


Cousins at the game

Cousins at the Putt-Putt

-Truist Park is another modern, beautiful baseball stadium. Even better is the area around it, known as The Battery. Between bars, restaurants and hotels it's essentially a neighborhood built around the stadium. Would love to see something similar over the next decade in the area that has been cleared out around Citi Field. My favorite part of the stadium was the Monument Garden located behind home plate. It's beautifully designed, quiet space that highlights the greats that have played for the Braves organization from Boston through Milwaukee and now Atlanta.



The Bad

Truist Park is also completely unnecessary. Mets fans sat in Shea Stadium from 1964 - 2008. Despite the romanticized memories of Shea that I hear fans wax poetic about, Shea was a borderline dump after 40+ years and it was time to go. While I never went to Turner Field, it was a mere 21 years old when the Braves left it, along with the city that is stitched across their chest.

The Ugly

Good lord this game. Home runs, missed pop ups, that mustachioed cry baby shutting down the offense (to be fair the dude can pitch) this was a typical Atlanta nightmare for the Mets. Silver lining was that we left before it got to 13-1 due to an hour long rain delay. Small victories I guess.

Next up: Charlotte


No comments:

Post a Comment