Friday, February 19, 2010

Avatar

When Avatar first came out, I wasn't very interested in seeing it. After hearing more about it and realizing that the last 3D movie I saw was "Captain Eo" starring Michael Jackson, I figured I would check it out. Unfortunately Kate wasn't interested, so I had to do what any (sad) normal (lonely) person would do: go to a matinee by myself on a Friday afternoon.

I usually try to have some theme or story running through my blogs but this movie really didn't do all that much for me so here are some random thoughts:

-The film was visually amazing; everything else was just....eh (with shoulder shrug)

-So it's the highest grossing film ever which leaves me a bit confused. If that many people saw it then it MUST be good right? (herd mentality after all) After seeing it though, I barely categorize Avatar as a good movie forget it being a great movie. So then what is it? It's the perfect movie for its time: looks great, not much else there.

-Giovanni Ribisi really did a great Ari Gold impersonation in his role of the evil corporate guy. It's as if he just watched the box set of Entourage to prepare for this role. I wonder if he did that same thing with "Life Goes On" when researching for his stellar turn in "The Other Sister."

-If this is a front runner for Best Picture then this truly was a weak year for film. I haven't seen "The Hurt Locker" but I would have to imagine that it's a better movie than Avatar. Hell I would put "Inglourious Basterds" ahead of it. I respect what Cameron did with the technology but I just don't think it was that great.

-Were we supposed to feel bad for the Navi? I was more upset that I gave up candy for Lent and had to get popcorn, the lesser of the movie snack choices.

-They had some 3D previews including "Piranha 3D" which is about killer piranhas attacking swimmers at a beach. This movie looks atrocious. The worst part? Richard Dreyfuss is in this movie...about a fish....that is threatening the safety of swimmers.....at a beach. Did he forget he was in JAWS?!?! Should we be concerned about the mental and financial well being of Dr. Leo Marvin? Equally as bad? The movie poster I saw for "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps" the sequel to the 1987 Oliver Stone film, except instead of Charlie Sheen as the young hot shot it's.....Shia LeBeouf. What did he do to get all of this work?

-CAPITALISM! IMPERIALISM! I get it Mr. Cameron, America is evil. This gives some perspective as to why this movie has done so well overseas (it broke the world box office record weeks before it broke the domestic record)

So to sum it up, Avatar made a lot of money.


Yup.

No comments:

Post a Comment