Sunday, August 1, 2010

One year down.....

Kate and I got married one year ago today.

It's crazy to think that the time has gone by so fast but here we are, one year removed from our big day. During the madness of the wedding day, the last thing that I was thinking about was (oddly enough) my marriage. What was life going to be like now that I was married? If I had stepped back last August and tried to predict what our first year of married life was going to be like, it would be pretty similar to what the past 365 days have been.

We've been as near as Stewart Manor and as far as Scotland. We went up to Connecticut and down to Virginia. We've been to Citi Field, Nassau Coliseum and even Croke Park. We spent time with family and friends. We went to birthday parties, Christmas parties and hosted an Olympics party (which,I might add, was pretty awesome.) We saw U2 and the Saw Doctors and had a few sing songs of our own. We've eaten Polish Platters, spicy tuna rolls and enough Italian Ice for to last a lifetime. We went through some very tough times but lived to tell about it because we had each other. We've cooked and cleaned; we've laughed and loved. One year ago, we started this brand new life together and it has been a beautiful experience ever since.

Marriage is not easy. Each time the statistics come out it seems like the divorce rate climbs higher and higher. But like a lot of difficult things, there are some obvious answers that can help. Over the past year I learned that marriage is similar to charades and the $100,000 Pyramid: if you have the right partner it can be pretty easy. The last twelve months have confirmed what I knew a long time ago: Kate is the right partner for me. She picks me up when I'm down, and she puts me in my place when I need putting. At the end of day, I love Kate and I know that she loves me and that's a pretty amazing thing to be able to say.

One year down, many more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment