Friday, July 15, 2011

Observations of Our Nation's Capital

My week in Washington has come to an end. Here are some thoughts and observations I had during my time in the capital.

-It's definitely the history teacher in me, but being in the city where the decisions that have shaped this country for the past 200+ years gives this place a different feel. I know that I live in the economic center of the country/world but economics has never resonated with me the way that history and politics do (after all I was predicted to be a US Senator in my 8th grade year book. Sad but true.)

-Seeing buildings in person that you've seen on TV or in textbooks your entire life is a little surreal. The Capitol (especially at night) is absolutely gorgeous. I suppose that visitors to NYC have the same feeling when they see the Empire State Building or the Statue of Liberty; I should appreciate those structures more.

-There's a crazy amount of people out running at 7 AM. I suppose this is because by 11:00 o'clock it's 90 degrees with 75% humidity.

-I love old cities for the little quirks that reveal a lot about the past. My favorite from Georgetown was the insurance symbols that are still found on many buildings (I've seen these in Philadelphia) The basic idea is that when you bought insurance back in "the day" you would be given a large metal disc that you would hang outside of your house (this was the time of independent, non-government run fire companies.) If your home was on fire, the fireman would show up. If you had their disc the fire was put out but if you didn't? Well no disc, no water so you better hope you don't have cheap neighbors.

-Georgetown made my list of places I'm going to buy a house when I'm a billionaire, and yes there is an actual list. Apparently the people are pretty obnoxious there but the houses are stunning. If I had a house that nice I'd probably be a jerk too.

-I thought the 10 pence per ketchup packet at McDonald's in Ireland was bad but a 5 cent surcharge per plastic bag? Really District of Columbia? Then again, am I actually complaining about being charged a nickel for a bag when I won't bring back all the cans and bottles I drink? I'll just shut up now.

-I don't know whether it's a summer, southern or politician thing, but there are too many bow ties in this city for my liking.

-Bike racks on buses??? Brilliant!

-Here's a tip I wish I was told before I got here. If you go down to the Capitol reflecting pool to take a night time picture of the Capitol you will get eaten alive by bugs and get a nice whiff of a pool that apparently hasn't been skimmed in 125 years.

-This one has nothing to do with DC but more with being away from home. At the end of each day, I throw change in an office style water jug in my bedroom. Without having that here, I realized how much change you collect over the course of 5 days. My latest count is $6.19 which will be a joy to bring home.

-Favorite part of DC? Hands down, The Capitol. I was lucky enough to go on a night time private tour with my group but I'm sure a regular tour would be amazing as well. The beauty and inspiration of the Rotunda cannot be properly captured in words; it must be seen in person.

-Regardless of political ideology or opinion of the president, seeing the White House up close is awe inspiring.

Overall an absolutely amazing week. Each time that I was amazed by a sight or building, I was quickly blown away by something equally or more amazing. The best part is, I probably only saw about 30-40% (albeit a BIG 30-40%) of what the city has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment