Friday, July 1, 2011

The Summer Manifesto

After putting in a few extra days at school this week to wrap up some loose ends, today is my first official day of summer. During the school year, teaching is often an all encompassing profession with grading, lesson planning and a few dozen other things taking up what seems to be all of a teacher's waking moments. With this in mind, I usually try to write down what I want/need to do this summer in order to make the best of my freedom. Here's the 2011 list.

1)Read at least 5 books
-Summer reading was almost non-existent as a student, but now that I'm older I've come to really enjoy reading. I've already started and finished one book over the last week (Animal Farm, which I loved and was only about 130 pages long) so I think I should be able to meet this goal.

2)Write more
-Writing is definitely the interest of mine that gets lost the most during the school year. I don't want to put a number on this one, since I'm usually just inspired to write about something and don't want to write just to hit a number. I'll leave it right now at writing "more" with the hope of writing a few times per week

3)Go golfing 3 times
-I have this goal every summer and never meet, primarily because I look at golfing as more of a social event so I'm not interested in going by myself.

4)Be a better home owner
-There are plenty of things I can do around my house to touch the place up just need to finally do it.

5)Get ready for September
-This will be a mid-August goal. I really want to hit the ground running at school in the fall so I need to get some work done in order to do so. Let's not think about this one for a while.

Throw in trips to DC, Ireland and Maine and it should be a busy and (hopefully) productive summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment